Loading...

Palaces

/Palaces
Palaces2018-07-09T18:35:40+00:00

Palaces

Some great noble palaces stand out in the town center.

The Municipal Building overlooks the main square, vital part of the town. It takes over a great portion of the ancient Balì Castle and features a neoclassical façade that has replaced the ancient balustrade made up of 18 arches.

Also Palazzo Gaito overlooks the main square, on its façade there is a niche with the statue of the Madonna del Pozzo , patron of the town.

On the other side of the square the elegant Palazzo Latorre stands out. It dates back to the second half of ‘800 and its distinctive characteristic are the traceries around the loggia that has a semicircular balustrade.

Along both sides of Corso Garibaldi it is possible to admire some neoclassical palaces. The most prestigious are Palazzo Colucci and Palazzo Albano.

 

Palazzo Colucci, built at the end of the XVII century, is characterized by the “Pompeian” red of its façade typical of the eighteenth-century Neapolitan villas. It stands on two floors and has beautiful frescoed halls.

Palazzo Albano has been constructed in 1963 by the Spanish captain Mogavèro on a preexisting building. Nowadays it is subjected to the Superindency as part of the of Cultural heritage because of its historical-monumental interest. After Mogavèro it belonged to some relatives of Ignazio Ciaia, the Pepe family. In 1916 it was bought by the Melpignano-Albano family. The Baroque monumentality of the palace leaves its place to the Rococo’ style, which is not common to see in Fasano. The façade overlooking Piazza Ciaia, is adorned by a loggia ending with a balustrade parapet. The Rococo’ graces the first floor, embellishing the outlines of the patio doors and the central oval with a single, long wrought iron balcony, sustained by elaborated shelves. The second floor is embellished by a balustrade over which three arcades open up. The interior presents a total of 10 lierne vaulted rooms furnished with 18th century furniture.

The red Palazzo Ciaia overlooks Corso Vittorio Emanuele . It is linked to the riots in 1799 when legitimists tried to set it on fire because it was property of the family Ciaias that joined the Jacobin faction.

Palazzo Mancini-Merelaco is a point of interest thanks to its particular balcony.